The most popular cars
- Toyota Hiace Van All Year Range
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado All Year Range
- Mitsubishi Canter All Year Range
- Isuzu ELF Truck All Year Range
- Toyota Wish All Year Range
- Toyota Noah All Year Range
- Toyota Hiace Wagon All Year Range
- Toyota Hilux All Year Range
- Mitsubishi Super Great All Year Range
- Toyota Corona Premio All Year Range
Uganda being a land locked country, surrounded from all the sides by land has no port of its own, thus to import a Japan used car to Uganda either the port of Mombasa in Kenya or Dar-Es-Salaam in Tanzania can be used, both being equal in terms of cost related to import of the vehicle.
There is no age restriction on the import of used cars from Japan.
Right Hand Drive and Left Hand Drive
Right and Left hand drive both types of vehicles arfe permitted.
Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) has appointed JEVIC to conduct a compulsory inspection 'Road Worthiness Inspection (RWI)' for the used cars to ensure that it meets certain standards.
Documents Required for importation
Documents which are required at the time of clearing the used cars at the ports are as follow
- Original Bills of Lading
- Two clear negotiable Original Bills of Lading.
- Work Permit (copy)
- Immigration Permit
- Certificate of Residence Change
- "Attestation reservation de cale"
- The consignee's original passport
- An invoice or valuation for the vehicle
- The original logbook of the vehicle or the original export documents from the country of origin
- Inventory in triplicate, English, detailed, valued, signed and dated by the customer
- Electrical powered items should be shown with serial numbers
- A Tax Identification Number, will be issued and obtained for the consignee by the consignee local employer in Uganda
Taxation in UGANDA
The Custom duty value in Uganda is determined in accordance with The General Agreement on Trade and Tariffs (G.A.T.T) valuation method. Taxation or tariffs on importing used vehicles in Uganda are as follows
Import Duty: 15% of dutiable value
VAT : 17% of VAT value
Import commission: 2% of Dutiable Value
Withholding Tax: 6% of Dutiable Value
There is an excise duty of 10% on selected cases. There is also duty remission on some commercial vehicles.
Note : It is a must to be registered with Tanzania Revenue Authority and have your Tax Identification Number (TIN) before clearing the car into Tanzania Customs Regulations.