The most popular cars
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
- Toyota Coaster
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Toyota Camry
- Toyota Vellfire
- Mitsubishi Lancer
- Daihatsu Mira
- Land Rover Defender
- Honda Integra
The general shipping port for used Japanese vehicles into Malaysia is Port Klang in West Malaysia or Kuching in East Malaysia. RoRo is the cheapest way of shipping, if requested a container method can be arranged.
Importation of used vehicles with more than 5 years old is restricted in Malaysia.
Right-Hand Drive Vehicle
Importation of right hand drive vehicle is permitted in Malaysia. In Malaysia traffic moves on left hand side of the road. Importer should meet the following conditions if want to import a car to the country
- Valid work permits for the country.
- Vehicle importation only for personal use only; the car cannot be sold or transferred.
- Vehicle must be exported when employment in the country ends.
How to import a used vehicle into Malaysia
The imposition of very high import duties make owning a non Malaysian made car somewhat expensive. Import duties run to as high as 300%. Consequently the vast majority of cars in Malaysia are locally produced ones.
Cost of maintenance and parts for foreign cars are also factors to be considered. Needless to say if your car is rare or indeed not available in Malaysia these factors become paramount. To import your car to Malaysia, you must apply for an Approval Permit (AP) from the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI). In order to apply for this permit, your car must be registered under your name for at least 3 years.
Documents required for AP from the Ministry of International Trade and Industry
- Original and photocopy of passport.
- Ownership certificate or original or photocopy of registration document.
- Insurance or prove of minimum one year old under the same name of applicant for AP.
- JK 69- AP application form.
- Original and copy of receipt/ purchase invoice for the automobiles.
The permit is valid only for 3 months. If one does not import the vehicle during that period, then have to go through the whole process again.
Documents Required for importation
- A letter of application addressed to the Ministry Of International Trade and Industry (MITI) for importing a car from your home country to Malaysia for personal use.
- A JK69 form must be purchased MITI and duly completed.
- Documentation of car which indicate proof of ownership. Typically this will be a purchase receipt or transfer of ownership/letter from the previous owner if the car was purchased second-hand.
- The original and photocopied registration document of car.
- The cars original insurance documents and/or a letter from the insurance company.
- Your work permit and letter of contract from your employer in Malaysia.
- A photocopy of your passport.
- Malaysian or International driving license.
Note - Certified translation of documents must be provided if not in Malaysian or English language.
To drive the imported vehicle on the roads of Malaysia, one must register the vehicle with the Malaysian Road Transport Department. The following documents are needed to register a vehicle:
- Identification documents
- PUSKAPOM inspection report
- Customs Form K1
- The Approved Permit for the vehicle
Taxation in MALAYSIA
Import Duties For Passenger Cars (Petrol Engine):
1799cc or under Vehicle Engine (Cylinder) Capacity: 140% of CIF
1800 – 1999cc Vehicle Engine (Cylinder) Capacity: 170% of CIF
2000 – 2499cc Vehicle Engine (Cylinder) Capacity: 200% of CIF
2500 – 2999cc Vehicle Engine (Cylinder) Capacity: 250% of CIF
3000cc or over Vehicle Engine (Cylinder) Capacity: 300% of CIF
For diesel engines, import duty has been set as a 120 precent of CIF.
Sales Tax - 10 precent of (CIF+ Import Duty)
Import Duties For 4×4 vehicles and others:
1799cc or under Vehicle Engine (Cylinder) Capacity: 60% of CIF
1800 – 1999cc Vehicle Engine (Cylinder) Capacity: 80% of CIF
2000 – 2499cc Vehicle Engine (Cylinder) Capacity: 150% of CIF
2500 – 2999cc Vehicle Engine (Cylinder) Capacity: 180% of CIF
3000cc or over Vehicle Engine (Cylinder) Capacity: 200% of CIF