The most popular cars
- Toyota Vitz 2010-2020
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 2010-2020
- Honda Fit 2010-2020
- Toyota Corolla Axio 2010-2020
- Toyota Corolla Fielder 2010-2020
- Toyota Hiace Van 2010-2020
- Subaru Forester 2010-2020
- Nissan Note 2010-2020
- Toyota Allion 2010-2020
- Toyota Land Cruiser 2010-2020
- Nissan X-trail 2010-2020
- Isuzu ELF Truck 2010-2020
Major ports in Kenya for importation of used vehicles are Mombasa and Dar-Es-Salaam.
Right Hand Drive
All vehicles imported must be Right Hand Drive (RHD). However, special vehicles such as ambulance, fire engine, large construction vehicle are exempted from this ban.Inspection
The vehicle must not be more than eight years old from the year of first registration. The difference between the registration date and the manufacturing date should not be more than a year.
Inspection on Vehicles
Inspection on vehicles imported to Kenya, must be done either by JEVIC (Japan Export Vehicle Inspection Center) or QISJ (Quality Inspection Services Japan) for road-worthiness.
- No more than 7 years after first registration year.
- No more than 1 year gap between first registration year and manufactured year.
Documents Required for custom clearance
- Original Passport
- Original Bill Of Lading (BOL), MASHO
- Original Commercial Invoice
- Pre Inspection certificate
- KRA Pin card
- Authentic Vehicle Logbook: Certificate of export by Dubai police or any other authority as a substitute for foreign book shall not be accepted by KRA (Kenya Revenue Authority). English translation of logbook will be provided by embassy, High Commission or consulate based in Kenya, in case logbook is in foreign language.
Benefits for returning residents to Kenya
- Kenya returning resident may import one duty free vehicle.
- The importer should be residing outside Kenya for at least two year and should not have visited Kenya on an average of more than 90 days.
- The vehicle must be used by the importer for at least a year.
- No similar exemption has been provided in the past.
Taxation in Kenya
An Import Declaration Fee (IDF) is also charged. An amount of minimum of $5,000 or 2.25% of CIF is paid prior to the application, depending whichever amount is more.
Import Duty: 25% of Dutiable value
Excise Duty: 20% of (Customs Value + Import Duty)
VAT: 16% of (Customs Value + Import Duty + Excise Duty)
Import Taxes Rates: Railways Development Levy: 1.5% of Custom Value.