The most popular cars

  1.  Toyota Alphard
  2. Toyota Prius Alpha
  3. Toyota Estima
  4. Subaru Impreza WRX
  5. Toyota Prius Hybrid
  6. Nissan Skyline
  7. Nissan Elgrand
  8. Toyota Hilux Surf
  9. Toyota Estima Hybrid
  10. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

Shipping Port

Shipping ports in UK are Bristol, Liverpool, Southampton, Newcastle and Tilbury.

Right Hand Drive Vehicles

UK is Right Hand Drive country and can import any steering Left Hand Drive or Right Hand Drive.


Japanese used cars must pass the Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) or Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) Test in order to ensure that the vehicle meets safety standards when used on public roads.

To check vehicle's road-worthiness, compulsory inspection MOT (Ministry Of Transport) is carried out by a Government approved testing center. Every year, vehicles go through MOT test after third year since the vehicle first registration.

Documents Required for importation

  1. Bill of Lading (BOL)
  2. Purchasing Invoice from the supplier to show the owner of the vehicle.
  3. Deregistration Certificate.
  4. Original Identification proof.
  5. Trader's Unique Reference Number (TURN) for Commercial Importers.
  6. Driving licence or original document confirming name;
  7. Utility bill or other original document to confirm address.
  8. Motor insurance from a British company,
  9. Cost of vehicle tax

Exemption on duty is given, provided the following conditions are satisfied

  1. The importer must have lived outside the European Union (EU) for at least a year.
  2. The vehicle must be bought outside EU and have driven for at least six months before its importation.
  3. The importer must be a registered citizen of Germany.
  4. The vehicle is intended for personal use only.
  5. The importer should keep the vehicle for at least one year following its importation.

It is allowed to drive the imported vehicle with the home license plates and registration if one imported the vehicle for temporary basis i.e. for a period of up to 12 months. Registration document with German translation is required. If one is staying for a longer period, then the vehicle must be registered at local Kfz-Zulassungsstelle.

Documents required for registering the vehicle

  1. Proof of identity and residence such as passport, residence registration receipt.
  2. Proof of ownership e.g. Bill of Lading, Commercial Invoice.
  3. Customs clearance certificate (Zollbescheinigung) stating payment of or exemption (Unbedenklichkeitsbe-scheinigung) of relevant taxes and duties.
  4. Proof of liability insurance
  5. TUV certificate
  6. Insurance confirmation

For registering a used car in UK

Test on vehicles depending on their age

  1. Vehicles below 3 years old should pass SVA/ESVA Test only.
  2. Vehicles between 3 years and 10 years should pass SVA/ESVA Test along with MOT Test.
  3. Vehicles with age more than 10 years should pass MOT Test only.

To register a used vehicle fill the V55/5 form and send it along with the following documents to DVLA:

  1. Documents to confirm name such as birth certificate, driving license, passport.
  2. Documents to confirm address such as Utility bill, Council tax bill.
  3. Motor insurance from a British company.
  4. Cost of vehicle tax.
  5. Vehicle registration fee.
  6. Deregistration Certificate.
  7. MOT certificate.
  8. Proof of customs clearance.
  9. SVA/IVA as vehicle imported from outside the EU.

Taxation in U.K.


  1. 10% on used cars
  2. 22% on pick-up and commercial vehicles


  1. 5%
  2. Ownership tax on passenger cars and commercial vehicles based on CO2 emission and weight and axles respectively.

Conditions when importer does not have to pay duty or VAT

Moving back to the UK

  1. The importer has had his home outside the UK for at-least a year.
  2. The vehicle must be possessed and used by the importer for at-least 6 months before it is imported.
  3. Taxes or duty must be payed by the importer while buying the vehicle.
  4. The vehicle must be use for personal work for at-least a year after it is imported.

Importing previously exported vehicle

  1. Vehicle must be exported within last 3 years only.
  2. Vehicle must not be tampered except necessary repairing.

Non-EU registered vehicles

  1. The importer should be a non-EU resident.
  2. The importer should not sell, lend the vehicle in EU.

Use it for personal use only and re-export it after 6 months.